Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: Sleepless

Book: Sleepless (Cyn Balog)
Stand-Alone or Series: Stand-Alone
Pages: 215 (ARC Copy)
Genre: Young Adult
Preview at Google Books
Description (From Goodreads): 
Eron DeMarchelle isn't supposed to feel this connection. He is a Sandman, a supernatural being whose purpose is to seduce his human charges to sleep. Though he can communicate with his charges in their dreams, he isn't encouraged to do so. After all, becoming too involved in one human's life could prevent him from helping others get their needed rest.

But he can't deny that he feels something for Julia, a lonely girl with fiery red hair and sad dreams. Just weeks ago, her boyfriend died in a car accident, and Eron can tell that she feels more alone than ever. Eron was human once too, many years ago, and he remembers how it felt to lose the one he loved. In the past, Eron has broken rules to protect Julia, but now, when she seems to need him more than ever, he can't reach her. Eron's time as a Sandman is coming to a close, and his replacement doesn't seem to care about his charges. Worse, Julia is facing dangers she doesn't recognize, and Eron, as he transitions back to being human, may be the only one who can save her....

Even once they've become human again, Sandmen are forbidden to communicate with their charges. But Eron knows he won't be able to forget Julia. Will he risk everything for a chance to be with the girl he loves?
 

I had been wanting to read this book for a while, because the premise sounded really unique and intriguing. I have never read any books about Sandmen before and I saw a lot of great potential in this story. However, I must admit, the book was a little bit of a let down for me.


However, I would like to start off with things that I thoroughly enjoyed about this book. First off, like I said, the concept was extremely unique. In a world where young adult fantasy books are everywhere you turn, I have to give the author huge credit for coming up with such a different topic. Also, on top of the fact that the subject matter was unique, it was also intriguing. I wanted to know more about Eron's universe and was eager to learn more about him.

Speaking of Eron, I think he was a great character. Watching him try and struggle to fit in to the modern world was rather charming. Unlike the vampires of other young adult novels, although Eron was from a different time, he had not adapted to the modern world. He often struggled with the slang of today and simply how to behave. He wears a top hat and suit, opens doors for women and even takes Julia for a stroll - which coincidentally, was one of my favorite quotes from the book:
"He holds the mall door open, and just as I'm thinking, Oh, how sweet, he extends the crook of his elbow to me. I stand there for a moment, wondering if he's just trying to check the time on his wristwatch, but then I realize he isn't wearing one. Tentatively, I put my hand on his forearm, and he claps his hand over it, just like in those old-time movies. We're strolling. People are staring at us."
Isn't that just adorable? They are strolling! Now, on to the things that bothered me about Sleepless. The first of which, was Julia. I just could not connect with her, no matter what I did. I just did not find her character to be interesting, in fact I found her rather drab. I really take issue to this, because she is one of the two main characters in the book.

I also had a problem with the story; the ending in particular.  Just as it was picking up speed, it abruptly ended. I thought that the way in which Griffin "let go" of Julia was completely out of character.I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but Griffin's actions in the very end were completely out of character. He is made out to be super possessive and he definitely would have put up more of a fight.

Overall, I did enjoy Sleepless. I just didn't love it. It was a quick read and the premise was interesting, but it did not pull me in like I had hoped it would.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...