Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: The Reckoning

Book: The Reckoning (Kelley Armstrong)
Stand-Alone or Series: Series, The Darkest Powers #3
Pages: 391
Genre: Young Adult
Preview at Amazon
Description (From Goodreads):
My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.
But normal is one thing I'm not.
For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.
Not normal.
My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.
Definitely not normal.
And finally, I'm a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.
As far away from normal as it gets. 


Oh, my goodness - do I ever love this series. The first two books were beyond amazing and I must admit, I was afraid that the final book in the trilogy might be a let down. I mean, how do you end such an amazing series? But, Kelley Armstrong, being the wonder woman that she is, some how managed do it. Be warned now, this review is going to completely consist of me gushing; it is basically a love letter to the series.

I cannot begin to express how much I love the Darkest Powers series. The Summoning and The Awakening were both phenomenal and The Reckoning  was no different. I eagerly tore through the story and absolutely devoured it. I enjoyed every word within it, the pacing was wonderful. I think the reason why I loved it so much was that it is so well rounded. It is so uncommon to find a story where all the different aspects, characters, action, pacing and plot, are so well developed. There is not a single character that I did not enjoy. I honestly cared about them all. This book, like The Awakening, centers around Chloe, Simon, Derek and Tori as they try to locate Simon and Derek's father and get away from the Edison Group. Liz, Chloe's dead ex-roommate, makes several appearances throughout the book. She often helps the teens in tricky situations by scouting out the bad guys or by slipping into full-on poltergeist mode.

There is plenty of action throughout the book and they are constantly on the run. However, in the midst of the adventure, the characters themselves develop and their relationships with each other really bloom as well. Chloe and Tori continue to form a friendship and they learn to rely on each other. Tori is still a spitfire, but she is beginning to soften.


Another relationship develops throughout the course of The Reckoning as well. I don't want to giveaway who Chloe ends up with, but let me just tell you this. I, quite literally, did a happy dance. This next part is for those of you who have read it... When Chloe goes on her date when one of the boys, I was in full on turmoil. I was terrified she would end up picking him.. but then when what happened after the date, happened.. I was ecstatic. Do you follow me? Maybe not, but hopefully you get my point.

Anyways, for those of you who have yet to read this series, I am begging you, please, read it. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. I read the entire series in 3 days and have gone back several times and re-read certain parts. I am absolutely devastated that The Reckoning was the final book in the trilogy, it just seems so unfair. But, like I said in my previous Kelley Armstrong Book signing post, she is currently under contract for 6 books. The next three books (which will make a total of 6) are going to feature a different narrator. However, Chloe's gang may make an appearance in book 6. Also, she is working out a deal with her publishers right now, for an extra 3 books, bringing the total to 9. My only hope, is that at least one of the extra 3 books will be a Chloe book. She left so many unanswered questions at the end of The Reckoning, that it seems like a plausible explanation. God, one can only hope.




2 comments:

Steph said...

I agree... I think this series is by far one of my favorites!!! Great review. I have also heard that she is going to continue toe series after she finishes her other darkest power series...eek

Unknown said...

Hey, I just gave you the One Lovely Blog award, here's the link: http://maddieeemsblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html
(:
BTW, great review, I read the first two books and they were amazing, I'm just itching to read this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...