Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Soul Thief by Jana Oliver


Book: Soul Thief by Jana Oliver
Series: The Demon Trapper's Daughter #2
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Young Adult
Buy A Copy: Amazon / Book Depository
Available Formats: Paperback / Ebook
Publication Date: August 30th, 2011
Edition Reviewed: UK Paperback
How Did I Get This Book: From Publisher, For Review.
First Sentence: "The Grounds Zero Coffee Shop made the most amazing hot chocolate in Atlanta, maybe even the whole world, but it appeared Riley Blackthorne would have to wade through Armageddon to get it."
Description:
Riley's beginning to think being a demon trapper isn't all it's cracked up to be. Her dad's been stolen by a necromancer, her boyfriend's gone all weird and she's getting warm and fuzzy feelings for someone who's seriously bad news. It's tempting to give it all up and try to be normal, but that's not an option. Because the demons have plans for Riley. And they're not the only ones.

After finishing Soul Thief by Jana Oliver, I found myself continuously putting off writing the review. After the dust settled, I still don’t really know what to make of the sequel to The Demon Trapper’s Daughter. You see, there are elements of the story that I absolutely loved, while other aspects left me a little cold.


Once again, Oliver does an incredible job with the world-building and setting. Honestly, it’s the world that keeps me reading this series. It’s dark, creepy, eerie and utterly fascinating.  For those of you who have read the first book, you know what I mean. You simply cannot deny that it is both enigmatic and gripping. And the demons! The demons in Soul Thief are once again, awesome. 


The problem for me mainly lies with Riley. Oh, Riley, Riley, Riley. I really wanted to love you. I thought maybe, just maybe, you might have matured a little bit over our time apart. Unfortunately, you are as impetuous and irritating as ever. 


You see, I still had the same issues with Riley as I did after reading the first book. She simply does not think. She jumps to conclusions and refuses to show any sort of common sense. Her treatment of Beck is once again, awful, even though he has proven himself over and over again. I understand that the author wants to create tension between Beck and Riley, but my goodness, why must she always make bad decisions. I happen to love Beck, I always have, and all that Riley’s stubborn behavior does is separate her further from me. I had a hard enough time connecting with her; it really doesn’t help matters that I don’t even like her. I am sad to say that I found myself skimming sections of her storyline near the end.


Honestly, I don’t really like any of the characters – besides Beck of course. I never really held a torch for Simon, but in Soul Thief, he really went off the deep end. Oliver purposely drives a wedge between Simon and the reader; it’s basically impossible to still like him once the book ends. 


I really wanted to love Soul Thief; I feel like this series has so much potential. In all honesty, Oliver has created one of my favorite fictional worlds. I just wish that I could get on board with her heroine. Hopefully in the third installment Riley will grow up a little. I understand that she is only seventeen, but in the book she is supposed to be incredibly independent. She is treated like she has much more maturity and I hope that she will actually start living up to it.



Favorite Quotes
Denver Beck was a stick of dynamite waiting for a match, and she hoped she wasn't anywhere near when he exploded.
Riley took one to be polite, wondering if all the murderers gave their victims treats before they sliced out their livers.
She didn't dare pity him. That would make him furious. 
No, I've been too busy trying to destroy the Guild and corrupt Simon's soul. Being evil is a full-time job.
That brutal honesty again. He'd peeled away more amour, and this time he'd exposed his heart.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...