Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington


Book: Clarity (Clarity #1) - Kim Harrington
Pages:  242
Genre: Young Adult  
Buy A Copy: Amazon | Book Depository
Available Formats: Ebook & Hardcover
Publication Date: March 1st, 2011
How Did I Get This Book: From the Library
Description: When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth? This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

 
Clarity by Kim Harrington is a lot of fun. Fans of Veronica Mars are sure to love Clare, she has the same spunky, directness that we all find so utterly charming. The story itself is a great mystery with lots of twists and turns. In all honesty, I found absolutely nothing wrong with this book. I enjoyed every pages – every word. Clare is a fun character, who never fails to entertain.

The overall story is well-development and entertaining. It actually builds up like a mystery is supposed to, which makes it easy to try and piece together the clues and hints you get along the way. I am not saying that the story is predictable, I am simply saying that you are free and able to make educated guesses about what is going to happen next.

The rest of the kooky cast of characters are just as enjoyable as Clarity herself. Her mother and brother are also shall we say, “gifted” – Starla is a telepath and Perry is a medium. This adds an interesting element to the story, especially Starla being able to read minds. In short, what this means is the majority of the town dislikes the Ferns, thinking them crazy. Because of this, the three are exceptionally close, which creates an interesting family dynamic. They are open, honest and blunt, because they know each other so well. I really enjoyed watching the three of them interact, especially Clare and Starla. They have an interesting relationship, more as friends then as a mother-daughter pairing. 

The prevalent love triangle is back in full swing, but this time, I actually like both of the options. Clare is still coping with her recent breakup with Justin, her first love. He got drunk one night and cheated on her – I think it is safe to  say Clare’s pissed. She jabs at him every opportunity she gets, but it is clear to see that she is honestly hurt. Justin, for his part, is obviously still in love with her and desperate to get her back.  Now, what’s behind door number two you ask? Gabriel Toscano, my friends. Gabriel is a recent import to town and the son of the new detective. He’s broody, moody and downright sexy. At first he seems to want to jump Clare’s bones, but then thinks her off her rocker when he discovers her psychic abilities. He proceeds to struggle with his attraction to Clarity, and she to him. As you may imagine, she isn’t exactly wild about the idea of liking someone who thinks she’s an insane fraud. Both boys are interesting, complex characters and even after finishing the book, I am not really on a particular team. Which as you may know, is highly unlikely. Kudos to Harrington to giving us two, actually viable options! 

All in all, I have to say, Clarity was a wonderful read. I have always loved mysteries and this book is exciting, clever and intriguing. The characters and storyline are both extremely creative and well-developed. Do yourself a favor and pick up Clarity!

Favorite Quotes

“Excitement in Eastport? Nay! But I had time to snoop around Nancy Drew style."
“Gabriel Toscano. Damn. Even his name was sexy.”
“Tiffany’s pale faced turned to green and I involuntarily took a step back, half expecting an Exorcist-style stream of vomit to shoot out of her gaping mouth.”
“you can date every girl in town as far as I’m concerned. I hate you. I pray every night that you’ll fall victim to some strange and unusual castration accident.”
“come, fruit of my loins, we’re going for a walk.”
“yellow police tape stretched across the motel room door. I stood beside it, waiting for Mr. Stick-Up-His-Butt to finish up in the office.”
“well, color me impressed.”
“Pass me the Academy Award. I don’t know how I did it, but hysterical-girl tears sprung from my eye as I ran out of the room and down the grand staircase.”
“I think the correct term for this was ‘pissing contest’, and though I was flattered, I didn’t have time for it.”
“ugh. I was going for ‘crazy ex filled with hate" not "isn’t she cute when she’s mad?”

2 comments:

Savannah said...

Woohoo! Glad to hear this book is good. I have been seeing a lot of rave reviews on this one!

Aleetha said...

Another great rating for this book.

It's nice read a book with a well developed character.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...