Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review: I Am Number Four


Book: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Series or Stand-Alone: Lorien Legacies #1
Pages:  440
Genre: Young Adult / Science Fiction
Purchase A Copy: Amazon | The Book Depository
Publication Date: August 4th, 2010
How I Got This Book: Library
Description (From Goodreads): In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.


I will be honest; I did not really have any interest in reading this book before I saw the movie trailers. Shameful, know. But, I am Number Four surprised me, in a number of ways.

I am Number Four is an absolute riot. The plotline is packed full of action – which is to be expected. However, there was a surprising almost of emotional storyline woven throughout the story as well. John’s relationships are given a great deal of attention, which allows for the reader to actually connect with him. In a lot of action books, I have a difficult time relating to the characters. The plotlines are enjoyable, but I don’t get that emotional connection with the characters. Right from the get-go you are introduced to the characters of Henry and John together. They have always been a team and it is obvious how much they rely on one another. Henry has been assigned to care for John and has basically filled the role of father.  Therefore, John’s character is extremely attached to him – he’s been the only constant in John’s life.

When the duo moves to Ohio, John makes his first real friends in Sam and Sarah. I loved his relationship with both of these characters. Sam is certainly quirky, but he is an extremely loyal friend to John. Sarah, who is the romantic interest for John, is an awesome character. She has incredibly sweet nature and accepts other for what they are. The relationship between John and Sarah was adorable; I loved watching it unfold.

There is also a tremendous amount of character development throughout the book. When we are first introduced to John, he is extremely timid and very much a little boy.  As the story goes on, he comes into his own and starts relying on himself. He not only begins to develop his powers, but he gains a great deal of courage as well.  

As to be expected the plotline was incredible and simply out of this world. There is a great deal of action and a handful of different aliens. The overall pacing was fast, but that is to be expected in an action adventure book – you are supposed to stay on your toes. 

There were some predictable elements to the story, but that is to be expected. Honestly, sometimes you can only take a storyline a few ways. The writing was also, how should I say this… sparse. Things were very direct, and I can understand why – it is meant to be a fast paced action story. However, I can’t help but feel like the writing could have included a bit more flourish; better visual descriptions and just richer text in general.

Overall, I really enjoyed I am Number Four. There was a surprising amount of emotion within the storyline, which made John easy to connect to and champion. I am interested to see how the next books play out – will there be a I am Number Five? I want to see more of the alien kids, but I hope we stay with John. Now that I’m emotionally invested in his story, I want to see it to the end!

 Favorite Quotes
"When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope." 
"I'll come back to you," I say, "If it's the last thing I do, I'll come back to you."  



2 comments:

Kari said...

I've been wondering if I should read this. I really didn't know what it was about, though, so I couldn't decide. I'm glad I stumbled across your review! Another book on my wish list....

Tea and Tomes said...

I admit that I enjoyed this book. The romance was sweet, it was exciting in many places, and the plot was interesting.

However, my opinion of it soured somewhat after seeing a lot of evidence that it was written specifically with movie marketing in mind. It started to see cheap and tawdry in my mind, and I'm now of two minds as to whether I'd recommend it to anyone or now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...