Sunday, January 23, 2011

In My Mailbox 27

Weekly Recap
 Reviews:
Angelfire - Courtney Allison Moulton
Stay - Deb Caletti

Extras:
Waiting on Wednesday: Divergent - Veronica Roth


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren!

Alright, so I REALLY wanted to do my IMM this week via vlog, but.. my computer had different plans. My Dell Web Cam won't even open, but hopefully I will have it figured out for next week. So, we are just going to have to make due with a plain old text version :(

 
Red Moon Rising - Peter Moore
(from the publisher, for review)
Being only half-vamp in a high school like Carpathia Night makes you a whole loser. But Danny Gray manages to escape the worst of the specists at his school. Thanks to genetic treatments he had as an infant, most people assume Danny's other half is human. Which is a good thing.

Ever since the development of synthetic blood – SynHeme – vamps have become society’s elite, while wulves like his father work menial jobs and live in bad neighborhoods.  Wulves are less than second class citizens; once a month they become inmates, forced to undergo their Change in dangerous government compounds.

For Danny, living with his vamp mother and going to a school with a nearly all-vamp student body, it’s best to pretend his wulf half doesn’t even exist.  But lately Danny's been having some weird symptoms -- fantastic night vision; a keener-than-usual sense of smell; and headaches, right around the full moon.

Even though it's easy to be in denial, it's hard to ignore evidence.  There's only a month until the next few moon, and Danny's time is running out.

Peter Moore speaks to adolescents in a voice that will have them laughing, set in a world that will get them thinking.
I received an ARC of Red Moon Rising this week from Disney Publishing and I cannot wait to dig into it. So, check back soon for a review :) It is described as a mix between Teen Wolf and True Blood - how could I pass that up?


 The Darlings Are Forever - Melissa Kantor
(From Publisher, For Review)
Jane, Victoria, and Natalya. Together, they are the Darlings. Best friends forever. They have matching necklaces, their own table at Ga Ga Noodle, and even a shared motto: May you always do what you’re afraid of doing.
When the friends begin freshman year at three different high schools in distant corners of New York City, they promise to live by their motto and stay as close as ever. The Darlings know they can get through anything as long as they have each other. But doing scary new things is a lot easier with your friends beside you. And now that the girls aren’t spending all their time together, everything they took for granted about their friendship starts to feel less certain. They can’t help but wonder, will they really be the Darlings forever?
I also received this one from Disney Publishing, but this was a finished copy. Doesn't it sound adorable?

The Demon Trapper's Daughter - Jana Oliver
(from publisher, for review)


Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on… Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?
This one was a finished copy that came from St. Martin's Griffin and I am reading it right now. I was really looking forward to it and it is already surprising me - in a good way :) Check back for a review soon *UPDATE - you can read my full review here.

 Angelfire - Courtney Allison Moulton
(From ARC Tours at Dark Faerie Tales)
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
I received this one from the ARC Tours at Dark Faerie Tales. I actually already finished this one and it was AMAZING. You can read my full review here.

Subway Girl - P.J. Converse
(Received from ARC Tours at Good Golly Miss Holly)
 From the moment he sees Amy on a Hong Kong subway, Simon wants to talk to her. But when he finally works up the courage, he finds out he can’t. Because Amy doesn’t speak Chinese, and Simon is failing English. But despite their language barrier, Amy and Simon connect, and they discover they understand each other.

In this stunning first novel about class differences, cultural arrogance, unwanted pregnancy and abortion, sexual double standards, and love and friendship, two vulnerable teens carve out a relationship even though each seems way beyond the reach of the other.

  
I got my hands on this one thanks to the ARC Tours at Good Golly Miss Holly!


11 comments:

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

Great books! I can't wait to read Angelfire, it sounds like such a good book.

I received The Demon Trapper's Daughter this week too :) It sounds very interesting, I hope it turns out to be as good as I'm hoping! I can't wait for your review :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Angelfire and The Darlings Forever looks really cute- hope you enjoy them both :)

Hannah @ Every Little Thing said...

I can't wait to read Angelfire :D

Happy Reading!

Book Junkies said...

Looks like you had a great week! :)

Misha said...

Wow! You've got some great books. Happy Reading!

Andrea said...

Cool books! I'm really interested to read Angelfire since I requested it from NetGalley, so I'll be sure to read your review. Hope you enjoy your books! :)

Jenny said...

Can't wait to see what you think of Demon Trapper's Daughter:) Red Moon Rising seems to be a popular book this week, I think maybe I need to add that one to my list!

Julie said...

I'm so looking forward to reading The Demon's Trapper's Daughter! Everyone is getting Red Moon Rising. I'm going to have to check that out! Happy reading :) Here's my IMM.

Ailsa said...

I've seen a couple of people get Red Moon Rising this week - it looks like fun! And I think Subway Girl sounds cute - I kind of want to read that, even though it's not normally the kind of thing I would read.
You can see my IMM here: The Book Bundle
~Ailsa

Tea and Tomes said...

Ooh, Red Moon Rising sounds like it could be quite interesting!

And I'm glad you enjoyed Angelfire. I myself was a little wary of it at first, but by the end my opinion was completely turned around!

Unknown said...

Awesome haul! Thank you for sharing :)
I want Angelfire!

My IMM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...