Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Glimmerglass

Book: Glimmerglass (Jenna Black)
Release Date: May 25th, 2010
Series or Stand-Alone: Series (Faeriewalker, #1)
Preview on Google Books
Description: 
Dana Hathaway doesn’t know it yet, but she’s in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, Dana decides she’s had it with being her mother’s keeper, so she packs her bags and heads to stay with her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl—she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie.

Soon, she finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone wants something from her, even her new-found friends and family. Suddenly, life with her alcoholic mom doesn't sound half bad, and Dana would do anything to escape Avalon and get back home. Too bad both her friends and her enemies alike are determined not to let her go . . .

I absolutely loved this book. It was easily one of my favorite young adult fantasy reads. The plot maintained a heart-pounding pace and included plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader on edge. I instantly fell in love with Dana's character; she is now one of my all-time favorite narrators. Her narration and internal monologues are priceless, witty and straight up entertaining. The author often references pop culture during Dana's one-liners and I found them hilarious.The setting of Avalon is so utterly fantastic - I have this outlandish and completely memorizing image of what this magical place looks like - I think the author did a superb job crafting such an amazing world for the story.

Like I said before, I instantly took to Dana as a character - well, the rest of the cast of characters were no different. I absolutely adore Kimber. I cannot wait to see how Kimber and Dana's friendship progresses; I have a feeling they are going to be a great pairing. I also am in love with Finn, the fatherly bodyguard, as well as Ethan the smoldering fairy and Keane - who I hope and pray will have more of a part in the upcoming books.

So my main point here is that Glimmerglass was amazing and every single one of you out there should read it, as soon as possible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...