Thursday, September 30, 2010

Booking Through Thursday 10

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme that I participate in :D

This week's question is..

If you read series, do you ever find a series “jumping the shark?” How do you feel about that?
And, do you keep reading anyway?

Well, I read a lot of series. I mean, a LOT. Most of the times, I love all the books within the series, but sometimes I do find they sort of get away from themselves. I will usually keeping reading, at least the first book after the one I didn't like. Does that make sense?  If I enjoyed 1-3, and didn't like 4 - I would still give 5 a chance. But after that, I don't really waste my time.

What about you? Are there any series that you've just stopped reading?

2 comments:

Liz said...

I've about given up on Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich. I'm sorry but, in 15 books, don't you think a character should grow, just a little? I'm on automatic hold for her at our library, and chatted with the librarian when I was checking it out. I was telling her how I was tired of the fact that there's been absolutely NO personal growth and she agreed. And she said people were bringing it back essentially unread.And I did too. I started the latest (I think it's the 15th), realized I just didn't care about the ridiculous plot I found so entertaining for about the first 6 or 7 and turned it back in. I'm done. (I should do some looking online -- I bet I'd find a ton of people who feet the same.)

Just a quick recommendation for a YA book you might enjoy (just finished it!~) -- it's "A Wind in Montana," by Mitch Davies. It's a realistic look at teen life, I think, and the story shows examples of kids not being crazy and stupid but dealing with responsibility, as well. I know plenty of kids like that. It's well-done.

Jenn said...

I'm a big series follower too. And the Stephanie Plum series is one I found to have gone on too long as well. It's interesting how many people feel that way. Of course it doesn't seem to have stopped me yet - I just got a notice from my library that the newest one is in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...