Thursday, September 2, 2010

Booking Through Thursday 7

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme that I participate in :D

This week's question is...

Even though it’s usually a mistake (grin) … do movies made out of books make you want to read the original? 
Yes, If I see a movie that I find interesting that was based on a book, I do feel the need to read it. I have discovered some of my favorite books that that way. I first saw the movie of The Virgin Suicides and The Private Lives of Pippa Lee; and both movie led me to the books. However, if I see a trailer or advertisement for a movie that I know is a book, I try and read the book first. Because, as you all are aware, the book is rarely as good as the movie. I would never had read some books, like Twilight or Percy Jackson if I had seen the movie first.

5 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

For period dramas, I do read the books afterwards.

Here is my BTT: Film to Books post!

Janet said...

I prefer to read the book first too. But some books I've discovered, like you, through their movies.

Gigi Ann said...

If I know the book will be made into a movie I prefer to read the book first.

Jeremy said...

I never watch the movie until after I read the book. I don't want to spoil the book and the book is always better. Also I like to keep the characters looks up to my imagination and when you watch the movie that is who your going to visualize as the character. Is this insane?

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

It depends. I usually try to read the book first so I can create my own pictures in my head. But for some books written several centuries ago like Dickens or Austen, I think that viewing the film actually enhances the reading experience for me.
I will rarely read a book after seeing the film with current material. For example, I wasn't finished with the 2nd book in the Millennium series, The Girl Who Played With Fire, when we went to the movie. I didn't go back and finish the book even though I was well into it prior to viewing.
-Anne
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...