Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: How To Date An Alien by Magan Vernon


Book: How To Date An Alien by Magan Vernon

Series: My Alien Romance #1
Genre: Young Adult / Fantasy 
Buy A Copy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble *Kindle/Nook versions are currently FREE (as of 7-23-12)
Available Formats: Ebook / Paperback
Publication Date: December 6th, 2011
How Did I Get This Book: Purchased
First Sentence: "If someone told me at the beginning of that summer that I would come face-to-face with death because of  Romeo and Juliet romance, I would never have believed it."
Description:
High school senior Alex Bianchi's estranged father gets her an internship at Circe Operations Center to pad her college applications. But Circe isn't your typical military base. It's an alien-run operation center and not all of the aliens are friendly, especially the one that tries to kill Alex on her first day. When Ace, a dark-eyed Caltian, enters and saves the day, she can't help but be drawn to him. Can these star-crossed lovers survive when they're on the brink of intergalactic war?


It's rather difficult for me to categorize this book, because it spans several genres. Obviously it's a young adult science fiction story, but it is also a romantic comedy. I guess I'll go with sci-fi-romance-romp. How's that? At any rate, I certainly enjoyed it. 

Although the story centers around an Alien plot line, I would recommend it to readers who don't normally enjoy sci-fi stories. Vernon injects enough comedy, heart and romance within the book that it should appeal to a variety of readers.
 
I'm not sure that the character of Alex could be categorized as particularly unique, but she's likable nonetheless. She's quirky and snarky; traits I happen to adore in characters. As the book progresses she really comes into her own and shows a great deal of determination and gusto.


Ace, Alex's love interest, is also rather likable. Although we didn't get to know him as much as I would have liked. The book chugs along at a quick pace and unfortunately it causes some of the character development to suffer. I hope that in the next book we'll get to know more about Ace. From what we've seen, he is a great character, but I'd still like to get to know him better.


How To Date An Alien is a delightful comedic romp that readers are sure to find enjoyable. It's a quick, light read that will keep you entertained for a few hours. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...