Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep


Book: Kiss of Frost  by Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy #1
Previous Books in Series: Touch of Frost (#1)
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Young Adult 
Buy A Copy: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble
Available Formats: Paperback / Ebook
Publication Date: November 29th, 2011
First Sentence:  "Logan Quinn was trying to kill me."
How Did I Get This Book:  From Publisher, For Review

Description: Logan Quinn was try­ing to kill me. My Spar­tan class­mate relent­lessly pur­sued me, swing­ing his sword at me over and over again, the shin­ing sil­ver blade inch­ing closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes prac­ti­cally glowed with the thrill of battle...

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep is a marvelous follow up to the exciting and entertaining Touch of Frost. I loved seeing the now solid friendship between Daphne and Gwen. I have to admit, they are quickly becoming two of my favorite YA friendships. They just complement each other so beautifully. I am also digging the relationship between Daphne and Carson. 

And Logan. Oh, Logan. Can we just take a moment to reflect on the perfection of this ever lovely Spartan….. okay. Although, I must admit, there were a few moments when I wanted to smack him across the face. Granted, most (if not all) of those instances involved his irritating semi-girlfriend/she-devil Savannah. Honestly, I don’t know if Savannah ever actually did anything that justified my hatred for her.. but do I ever hate her.  She’s coming between Gwen and Logan, and we cannot have that. Plain and simple.

I was a bit disappointed with Gwen in Kiss of Frost. I just felt like she was rather clueless about Oliver and it just didn’t fit. I am not going to give any the plotline, but let’s just say that I believe Gwen is smarter than that. She wasn’t even slightly skeptical about Oliver and that just does not fit with her character. Gwen is jaded and she’s intelligent. She would have at least known that something was off.

I was also put-off by the sheer amount of recapping. I’ve read a number of Estep’s books and I’ve come to see that this is just her writing style. She is a big believer in lengthy recaps. Even though I’ve come to understand this about her writing, I still can’t come to accept it. I always want to get to the good stuff and I feel weighed down by all the excess. 

Despite these minor flaws, I LOVED Kiss of Frost. It’s a story that is easy to fall into. I read the entire thing in one sitting. Estep does a wonderful job of pulling her readers in. She mixes the perfect amounts of romance, excitement, adventure and humor to produce a truly wonderful and delightful story. I cannot wait to get my hands on Dark Frost and see what Estep has in store for Gwen and the gang next!



Favorite Quotes:
Since coming to Mythos, I'd almost been run through with a sword and mauled to death by a killer kitty cat. Dirty looks didn't faze me anymore. 
I didn't know what would take my mind off the sexy Spartan, except for maybe a total lobotomy. 
I didn't know if he really meant talk, make out, or something else completely, but I'd be happy with any of them.
He realized something was going on between Logan and me. I wish he'd clue me in on exactly what it was, because I had no idea.
It didn't take long for the anger to put the happiness in a headlock.
I'd be damned if I let him see the tears in my eyes.
Etiquette? What kind of etiquette was there in someone trying to murder me?
And that's when I snapped up my left hand and smashed him in the face with the hammer I'd grabbed.
"It'll be okay, I promise. No matter what I see or feel. You'll still be Logan and I'll still be your Gypsy girl."
How had I ever thought he was cute? He so needed to be locked up in an insane asylum somewhere. Too bad Batman wasn't here to come and drag his ass off to Arkham.
"I might be old and cranky, but I'm not bloody stupid."

1 comment:

Amber said...

What a great review! I haven't read any of Ms. Estep's other work so I didn't know recaps were her thing but I did notice they were in there a lot. Like you, I love Daphne and Gwen and think Carson is a great addition to their little group. Now, if only Logan would get on board!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...