Thursday, July 28, 2011

Guest Post With Sherry Soule: Origins of a Haunted House


Today we have the ever fabulous Sherry Soule with us in celebration of the release of her latest book, Beautifully Broken. She is coming to us through Bewitching Book Tours


Sherry Soule has won numerous awards for her short stories and now writes fulltime. She loves cats, gobbles lemon muffins and lives on peppermint mochas. She lives in San Francisco Bay Area with her family and her black cat, Charm who long ago accepted the fact that she’s not a morning person, rarely cooks, and loves all things supernatural. She is hard at work on the next book in the Spellbound Series.

 

Origins of a Haunted House
by Author, Sherry Soule

You hear heavy footsteps in the hallway, but no one is there. Doors slam inexplicably. Frequently used items disappear and reappear. The lights flicker. There's the unmistakable aroma sulfur in the air…

Paranormal experts say that a haunted house is described as a residence that is believed to be a place for paranormal activity. Haunted houses are often regarded to contain the lost souls of deceased people who have lived on the property. A haunted house can also contain poltergeists and malevolent entities, such as demons. Temperature fluctuations in certain rooms may prove it was the scene of at least one nefarious plot.
I’ve always had a morbid fascination with haunted houses since childhood. I love all things supernatural, and I knew the fiction market was flooded with vampires, fairies, angels, shapeshifters, and werewolves, so I decided to make the heroine of my debut novel a sassy witch who works in a haunted house.

The storyline took a different twist once I decided to add a haunted mansion to the plot. As a result, I also wanted my main characters to live in a spooky town, and so Whispering Pines, California was birthed. A coastal town full of secrets was the perfect place to set my story. (I also have a blog devoted to its haunted history. Within this eerie town is the legendary Ravenhurst Manor.

In my novel, Ravenhurst Manor is a Gothic mansion renowned for its size and utter lack of any master building plan. Ravenhurst has had a myriad of violent and unsavory happenings. And more than its share of murders, suicides, and mysterious disappearances, without which no haunted house would be complete

I strongly feel that young adult readers are ready for more facets and expressions in their fiction, combined with a believable love story. I think my prose is unique and a bit different from the “norm of YA stories” because my stories tend to have more of a horror element in them, blended with romance, and flavored with the occasional hint at mystery.

So, do you believe a house can be haunted by ghosts or other things that go bump in the night?
About this author:
Sherry Soule is the author of the Spellbound series and lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her black cat. Sherry writes tales of magick, romance, and demon slaying.

Where you can find Sherry:


 
Thirteenth Daughter. Heritage Witch. Demon Slayer.

They say every town has its secrets, but that doesn’t even begin to describe Whispering Pines. The townsfolk are a superstitious lot and the mystical disappearance of a local teen has everyone murmuring about a centuries old witch’s curse.
Sixteen-year-old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch from the Broussard family, a family both destined and cursed. When she takes a summer job at Ravenhurst Manor, she discovers a ghost with an agenda. That’s where she meets the new town hottie, Trent Donovan, and immediately becomes spellbound by his charms. Yet she is determined to discover the connection between them. Finally, Shiloh's met someone who is supercute and totally into her, but Trent may be the next victim on the supernatural hit list. And Shiloh is the only person with the power to save him. Complicated much?

 


4 comments:

Amy @ bookgoonie said...

Sounds interesting. I will be looking for it. The author was nice enough to stop by my blog.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I definitely believe.

I've come across enough odd and unexplained things in my own house- like waking up in the middle of the night to my bobble head turtle's head bobbling wildly yet nothing else was shaking. Just the turtle's head- for no apparent reason. Or hearing someone walking around my bedroom but when I open my eyes no one is there. Very creepy stuff. But it's been happening for years and nothing too super creepy has happened so I just accept it as part of my home.

Sherry Soule said...

That is creepy, Roxanne. Do you think your house is haunted?

~Sherry
Sherry Soule Official Website

Author of the Spellbound Series

El Cajon Furniture Removal said...

I really enjoyed your blog thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...