Thursday, March 17, 2011

Guest Post: Megg Jensen {Author of Anathema}

Today is Day 4 of the Indie Reads Appreciation Week and today we have the amazing Megg Jensen stopping by to share her feelings about being an independent author.  Megg is the author of Anathema - the first book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy.
 


I Get Published … 
With a Little Help From My DarkSide Friends

When I chose to go independent, I knew I was giving up a lot – agent, publisher, editor, publicist, and accountant. I could go on and on. Self-publishing implies an author goes it alone. But luckily, I don’t have to as a member of DarkSide Publishing.

Instead of trying to edit, market, and design my book alone I rely on my fellow DarkSide members for help. Sometimes an author gets too close to her own work to reliably edit a manuscript. It’s hard to take a step back from the characters she’s so lovingly created and nurtured. A great editor can see all the mistakes for what they are. When it comes to marketing, we all have different avenues we take to success, but through sharing our ideas we can reach a wider audience. As for design, all indies know how hard it is to pick a great cover and to format a manuscript. These are the parts of traditional publishing that writers rarely touch, but as indies they are fully under our control. This control is a blessing and sometimes a curse. Without help I’d probably still be sitting on the sidelines instead of celebrating a month’s worth of sales.

I want to encourage anyone considering going indie to band together with other writers. Just because we’re taking on the mantle of independent publishing, doesn’t mean we have to do it alone.

FOLLOW MEGG: Twitter | Blog | Goodreads



Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #1) - Megg Jensen
Reychel is a slave girl surrounded by magic, lies and manipulation. Her best friend disappears in the middle of the night leaving Reychel to face her fifteenth birthday, the day her master burns his brand into the back of her bald head, alone. She's sheltered from the outside world and doesn't have any hope for escape, but when people desperate for freedom ask for her help can Reychel learn to believe in herself?

2 comments:

Judy said...

Goodness, I love this cover!!! I would buy it for the cover and then probably be suprised how good of a read it is!! I do that alot in book stores!!!


Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Megg Jensen said...

Thanks Judy! I have an amazing cover designer. :Dp

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...