Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: Eva Underground


Book: Eva Underground (Dandi Daley MacKall)
Series or Stand-Alone: Stand-Alone
Preview on Google Books
Description:
  The year 1978 has been a pretty good one for Eva Lott. She has a terrific best friend, she's dating the best-looking guy in school, and she just made the varsity swim team. So when her widowed dad says it's time for them to move, she's not exactly thrilled. And when he tells her that he intends to move to Communist Poland to help with a radical underground movement...Well, it's all downhill from there.

Soon Eva has been transplanted from her comfortable Chicago suburb to a land that doesn't even have meat in its stores, let alone Peter Frampton records. And everywhere she goes, the government is watching. But Eva begins to warm to her new life. Sometime between eating lard on bread and dodging the militia, she makes a handsome new friend, Tomek. And soon she is wondering if maybe she's found home in the most unlikely of places.


I only recently came across this book - I read about it at Angieville, where she featured it as a retro friday pick. I immediately ordered it from amazon. In the meantime I got a jump start on the book at google books. As soon as my copy arrived I tore into the book, I finished it that night. I cannot think of a single thing that I did not like about this book. I had not really heard much about the subject matter (1970's Poland) and I found myself fascinated with the new world in which Eva finds herself. The writing and story-telling is pure magic, none of the interactions between characters seems forced and the story seems believable. This is probably due to the fact that the author based the novel off of her own life. I loved watching Eva's character change and learn to see the world through different eyes. The book is filled to the brim with brilliant, delicate scenes that like I said before, are not overdone. I highly recommend this book to anyone who will listen!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...